Re: Cannot restart postgresql when increasing max_connections - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gregory Williamson
Subject Re: Cannot restart postgresql when increasing max_connections
Date
List pgsql-general

Joshua D. Drake spaketh:

> On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 12:51 -0700, Gregory Williamson wrote:
> > Thom Brown wrote:
> > <...>
> > > I actually mentioned pgPool II to my boss earlier, and it's
> > something we
> > > will have to seriously consider, but will have to do some research
> > first.
<...>
> > Using pgPool means we have a max limit of 100 and have almost never
> > gone near it -- usually we have 12-25 connections at once and load and
> > throughput are higher than they were before.
>
> Not to disparage pgPool, but we have also had great results with
> pgBouncer.

I should have mentioned we quit while we ahead and never tried pgBouncer,
which may be a better solution. (didn't meant to cast any mud!)

And I realized belatedly that we use pgPool, a much simpler beast. We have
looked at pgPool II but haven't implemented it.