Re: Cannot restart postgresql when increasing max_connections - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gregory Williamson
Subject Re: Cannot restart postgresql when increasing max_connections
Date
List pgsql-general

Thom Brown wrote:
<...>
> I actually mentioned pgPool II to my boss earlier, and it's something we
> will have to seriously consider, but will have to do some research first.

We had an application ported from Informix which initially required 1000+ connections to handle peak load (one of 4 servers pushed by two application servers doing spatial queries).

Using pgPool means we have a max limit of 100 and have almost never gone near it -- usually we have 12-25 connections at once and load and throughput are higher than they were before.

Greg Williamson
Senior DBA
DigitalGlobe

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information and must be protected in accordance with those provisions. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

(My corporate masters made me say this.)