Re: Binary downloads and upgrading the host OS - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Binary downloads and upgrading the host OS
Date
List pgsql-general
On 4/25/20 8:04 AM, Tom Browder wrote:
> I am using the PostgreSQL binary downloads for Debian from your apt
> repositories.
>
> I am about to upgrade from Debian 9 to Debian 10 and would like
> comments for my plan:
>
> 1. I will follow Debian's instructions for upgrading from 9 to 10.
>
> 2. Before I start the actual upgrade, I will:
>
> + ensure all is up-to-date for my PostgreSQL as well as the rest of my system
> + temporarily comment out the PostgreSQL links in /etc/apt.
> + stop the pgsql server and prevent auto-restart upon reboot
>
> 3. After the successful upgrade I assume I will:
>
> + update the apt sources for PostgreSQL with the new name (buster)
> + update as usual
> + restart the pgsql server and resume auto-start upon reboot

Looks good to me. I'm assuming you are leaving the Postgres version the
same though. Is that correct?

Also, if it is not already planned, to be on the safe side throw in a
backup of some sort just before shutting down the server.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com