Re: 9.3-beta postgres-fdw COPY error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vibhor Kumar
Subject Re: 9.3-beta postgres-fdw COPY error
Date
List pgsql-general
On Jun 21, 2013, at 1:56 PM, Lonni J Friedman <netllama@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was afraid someone would say that.  Is this a limitation that might
> be removed in the future (like 9.4), or is there a technical reason
> why its not possible to do a COPY against a foreign table?

I think reason is, FDW is a way of representation of foreign table in your current database. And when you take logical
backup(pg_dump), you actually dump the definition of representation, not table. And if its allowed then, in my view you
arelosing the idea of representation with idea of actually creating that table in database.

Thanks & Regards,
Vibhor Kumar
EnterpriseDB Corporation
The Postgres Database Company