Re: Logical Decoding and HeapTupleSatisfiesVacuum assumptions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: Logical Decoding and HeapTupleSatisfiesVacuum assumptions
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 01/29/2018 03:17 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 29 January 2018 at 14:13, Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
>> 4) inspect the new row (which we still have in reorderbuffer)
>>
>> 5) Kabooom! The row has column "c" which we don't see in the catalog.
>
> We don't use caches? Why does a cache miss cause it to explode?

We do use caches (and we invalidate them), of course.

But the problem is that by the time we get to lookup the row, it may be
either removed by VACUUM (because the catalog cleanup is more
aggressive) or not reachable using an index (which is the HOT issue
pointed out by Robert earlier in this thread).

regards