Re: Re: sick DB - ?? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: sick DB - ??
Date
List pgsql-general
Pete Leonard <pete@hero.com> writes:
>> restart didn't bring the DB back properly, so as the postgres user, did
>> the following:
>> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -d5 start
>> it dumps the initial environment variables, and then returns nothing.  CPU
>> is pegged at 100%.  No reporting, no information as to what's happening.

This is kind of a random guess, but we recently noticed that 7.1 has a
bug whereby the postmaster can go into an infinite loop at startup if
the $PGDATA directory is not writable.  Check permissions.  It might
also be a good idea to remove the old postmaster.pid file by hand.

            regards, tom lane