Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> What it comes down to is that a mailing list encourages many-eyes-on-
> one-bug synergy, whereas Bugzilla is designed to send a bug report
> to just one pair of eyes, or at most a small number of eyes.  I haven't
> used RT but I doubt it's fundamentally different.

Actually RT is quite different. It's very closely tied to email. You get all
the updates in email and can respond to the emails and the results are
archived in the ticket.

However RT isn't really targeted at bug tracking specifically. It's more of a
trouble ticket system. Targeted largely to things like NOCs or incident
response ticketing systems.

It's much more flexible than pure bug tracking systems like bugzilla and might
be able to adapt to a more open email based working model better. But by the
same token it would take more attention to set it up and adapt it to bug
tracking.

--
greg