Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry)
Date
Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry)  ("Andrew Dunstan" <andrew@dunslane.net>)
Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry)  (Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>)
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>> What it comes down to is that a mailing list encourages many-eyes-on-
>> one-bug synergy, whereas Bugzilla is designed to send a bug report
>> to just one pair of eyes, or at most a small number of eyes.  I haven't
>> used RT but I doubt it's fundamentally different.

> Actually RT is quite different. It's very closely tied to email. You get all
> the updates in email and can respond to the emails and the results are
> archived in the ticket.

[ shrug... ] BZ sends me email too --- for the things *it* thinks I
should know about.

The basic point here is that these systems are designed on the
assumption that there is a small, easily identified set of people
who need-to-know about any given problem.  We (Postgres) have done
well by *not* using that assumption, and I'm not eager to adopt a
tool that forces us to buy into that mindset.