Re: large file limitation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Phillips
Subject Re: large file limitation
Date
List pgsql-general

    Jeff> I have installed Postgres 7.1.3 on a Solaris 2.8 machine.
    Jeff> When I dump the database the file is larger than the 2 GB
    Jeff> limit.  I checked with our unix admin and he confirmed that
    Jeff> Solaris 2.8 would not support files larger than 2GB until he
    Jeff> made a modification to use large files.  He made the
    Jeff> modification and we verified that the unix system could
    Jeff> handle files larger than 2GB.  I then dumped the database
    Jeff> again and noticed the same situation.  The dump files
    Jeff> truncate at the 2GB limit.  I suppose I need to recompile
    Jeff> Postgres now on the system now that it accepts large files.
    Jeff> Is there any library that I need to point to manually or
    Jeff> some option that I need to pass in the configuration?  How
    Jeff> do I ensure Postgres can handle large files (>2GB)

I've had the same problem with another type of backup (file system)
aganst an AIX machine and thought the following would work :-

dump <options> | cat > filename

assuming cat could write bigger files. Unfortunately with the little
time I spent trying to get it to work I was unable to do so but I
would of thought it would work in theory.

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--
Your mouse has moved.