Re: Turning recovery.conf into GUCs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alex Shulgin
Subject Re: Turning recovery.conf into GUCs
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> On 2014-12-02 17:25:14 +0300, Alex Shulgin wrote:
>> I'd be in favor of a solution that works the same way as before the
>> patch, without the need for extra trigger files, etc., but that doesn't
>> seem to be nearly possible.  Whatever tricks we might employ will likely
>> be defeated by the fact that the oldschool user will fail to *include*
>> recovery.conf in the main conf file.
>
> I think removing the ability to define a trigger file is pretty much
> unacceptable. It's not *too* bad to rewrite recovery.conf's contents
> into actual valid postgresql.conf format, but it's harder to change an
> existing complex failover setup that relies on the existance of such a
> trigger.  I think aiming for removal of that is a sure way to prevent
> the patch from getting in.

To make it clear, I was talking not about trigger_file, but about
standby.enabled file which triggers the recovery/pitr/standby scenario
in the current form of the patch and stands as a replacement check
instead of the original check for the presense of recovery.conf.

--
Alex