Re: protocol change in 7.4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: protocol change in 7.4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Mike Mascari <mascarm@mascari.com> writes:
> Is there any thought about changing the protocol to support
> two-phase commit? Not that 2PC and distributed transactions would be
> implemented in 7.4, but to prevent another protocol change in the
> future?

My understanding is that 2PC is one way to implement multi-master
replication. If that's what you're referring to, then I'm not sure I
see the point: the multi-master replication project (pgreplication)
doesn't use 2PC, due to apparent scalability problems (not to mention
that it also uses a separate channel for communications between
backends on different nodes).

Cheers,

Neil