Re: modules - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: modules
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy@druid.net> writes:

> On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 20:22:51 -0400
> Aidan Van Dyk <aidan@highrise.ca> wrote:
>> Unfortunately, the current state really does seem to mean that the
>> "feature of modularity" really is the kiss of death, since things are
>> actively pushed out from core to be modular projects, making them
>> unusable for most people...
>
> Is there anything but anecdotal evidence for this statement?  I mean,
> yes, some ISPs will make life hard for their users and some <SHAMELESS
> PLUG "http://www.Vex.Net/" /> will work with their clients to deliver
> what they need.  Besides, most users of PostgreSQL are probably
> enterprise users or users running off of their own systems who have all
> the access they need. How big is this "problem" really?

I was inclined to dismiss it myself but I think the point that's come up here
is interesting. The ISP has to not just install an RPM or type make install in
some source tree -- but actually log into each customer's database and run an
SQL script. That does seem like more work and more risk than a lot of ISPs
will be willing to take on.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's Slony Replication
support!