Re: NFS performance tuning - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Phillips
Subject Re: NFS performance tuning
Date
List pgsql-general

    Scott> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, Jefim M wrote:
    >>  I have the following setup for my PostgreSQL box: 4GB Ram Dual
    >> CPU Redhat 7.3 with 2.4.20-18.7smp kernel 2 network cards - one
    >> is dedicated to internal traffic to the NetApp filer and other
    >> is used for other traffic
    >>
    >> and all the Postgres database resides on the NetApp filer using
    >> NFS.  Number of the connection to the database is configured to
    >> 64.
    >>
    >> What are best configuration setting I need to use on my
    >> PostgreSQL and Linux boxes to get the best performance from
    >> PostgresSQL?  Are there any recomendations for the given setup
    >> (having the data on the remote server) ?

    Scott> We use a netapp and I had to muck around with the default
    Scott> settings under rh7.2 to get reliable behaviour.  Note that
    Scott> our database does not sit on a netapp, only our semi-static
    Scott> web content does.

    Scott> Here's the settings I added, at the behest of one of our
    Scott> unix / linux ubergeeks:

    Scott> timeo=10,retry=1,bg,soft,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192

Argh, don't use soft mounting when the database is being accessed
through NFS and you value your data. Check out nfs.sf.net, there is a
HOWTO and FAQ for Linux NFS issues. netapp also has a very good
LInux/Netapp document written by a netapp employee who also hacks the
Linux kernel client. A google on "netapp linux howto" should find it
easily enough.

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--
Who really wrote the works of William Shakespeare ?
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shakespeare/