Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Bruce Momjian" <bruce@momjian.us> writes:

>> I think the people wanting wrapped to control file/pipe don't want it as
>> the default, but want _some_ way of getting wrapped output into a file.
>
> Let me add that the patch as it was posted does not have wrapping
> affecting file/pipe output unless you also specify a column width with
> \pset.  This seemed the most logical and tried to satisfy the most
> people.  You can see this in the documentation changes of the patch:

If you specify format=wrapped and get something other than wrapped it's a bug
and people will undoubtedly report it as such.

If you want a way to specify "wrapped on a terminal but not to a non-terminal"
then you should make that explicit and separate from the column-width
determination.

I'm done with this thread now.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's 24x7 Postgres support!