Re: Plan time Improvement - 64bit bitmapset - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Plan time Improvement - 64bit bitmapset
Date
Re: Plan time Improvement - 64bit bitmapset  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-hackers

> Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>
>> long plan times (minutes and up)
>
> Wow.  I thought I had some pretty complex queries, including some
> which join using several views, each of which has several joins; but
> I've never gone to multiple seconds on plan time (much less multiple
> minutes!) without very high statistics targets and many indexes on the
> tables.  Any rough estimates on those?

My money's still on very large statistics targets. If you have a lot of
columns and 1,000-element arrays for each column that can get big pretty
quickly.

But that doesn't explain the bitmap ops being important. Hm. Actually having a
lot of columns and then joining a lot of tables could mean having fairly large
bitmapsets.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's 24x7 Postgres support!