Re: Bug #807: Sequence currupted on recovery after kill -9 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Florian Weimer
Subject Re: Bug #807: Sequence currupted on recovery after kill -9
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Darcy Buskermolen <darcy@wavefire.com> writes:

> I'm sure if you read the footers on Tom's email's it's pretty clearly stated
> 'do not kill -9 the postmaster'.
> So I'm not so sure that this is really a bug.

The operating environment is free to kill -9 the postmaster at any
time, and PostgreSQL is expected to ensure database consistency
nevertheless.

After all, PostgreSQL is a database and not a cardbox.

(But holes in sequence numbers certainly do not endanger database
consistency.)

--
Florian Weimer                       Weimer@CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
University of Stuttgart           http://CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE/people/fw/