Re: Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
jd@commandprompt.com ("Joshua D. Drake") writes:
> On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 22:19 -0500, decibel wrote:
>> BTW, for those saying let's focus on the software... this is the
>> *advocacy* list. You're probably looking for -hackers. :P And keep in
>> mind that advocacy builds community, which builds better software.
>
> I do not think we should stop advocating. I think we should be doing so
> smartly. Dealing with Forester or any of the other shills is a waste of
> energy. Let EDB deal with that.

Not to be hard on EDB, but I'm not certain that the kind of work that
EDB's marketing-related folk would do dealing with Forestor et al would
necessarily be of as much use to "PostgreSQL as community" as it would
be to "EDB as company."

> We as a community should be focusing on recruiting -hackers and people
> who are going to use the database. Django developers, Rails developers,
> PostGIS etc... We don't have to (nor should we want to) give donkey spit
> about business uptick. The oustide developers and companies surrounding
> us will take care of that.

I don't think I have any competence to offer in the marketing area, but
that's not quite the same thing as thinking that our interest ought to
be solely at the "not give a donkey spit" level.

In the interests of keeping things entertaining, here's the funniest
stuff I saw today...

One of these posts refers to someone associated with One Of Those Other
Products as an "imperious twit," so obviously has the entertainment
attendant from watching insulting+sarcastic wit at work :-)

http://omnis-dev.com/pipermail/omnisdev-en/2009-February/005164.html
http://omnis-dev.com/pipermail/omnisdev-en/2009-February/005142.html
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "ca.afilias.info")