Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Mike Mascari <mascarm@mascari.com> writes:

> Greg Stark wrote:
> > Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> >
> >>I can't complete by 1 June. Think worse of me if you choose.

> > So in my perfect world I picture 7.5 freezing June 1 and releasing in July or
> > so, giving a nice reliable simple upgrade for people who just want a safe 7.x
> > series to upgrade to even after 8.0 comes out. PITR, nested transactions going
> > into the CVS tree sometime in June or July and being frozen as 8.0 towards the
> > end of the year.
>
> A quick google of "7.4 Win32 release" will reveal that the above was precisely
> what was said about 7.4: it would be released to not hold up important features
> like the IN optimization and a quick 7.5 would have Win32 and PITR. It's almost
> as if a cron job reposts this thread every 6 - 12 months. For those of us that
> are desirous of PITR, it's a 6 month reposting that is becoming painful to
> read...

I'm not sure what your point is though. It's not like people with my attitude
made the people writing code take any longer. In fact had we held off 7.4 for
any of these features it would have been a disaster.

Incidentally, I'm not suggesting rushing 7.6/8.0 out the door. I'm imagining a
regular release cycle. My comments are more geared to the idea that having
PITR, Nested Transactions, etc hit the tree early in the development cycle
would be smoother than having them hit right at the end of the development
cycle.

Think of all the added bells and whistles PITR will be able to grow over the
course of a whole release cycle. Instead of having a barebones "see it works"
implementation we'll have a really polished system with lots of optional but
appreciated features. Maybe better integration in third-party backup tools,
maybe even standby databases or replication based on it.

--
greg