Re: pg_restore out of memory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: pg_restore out of memory
Date
List pgsql-general

"Francisco Reyes" <lists@stringsutils.com> writes:

> Gregory Stark writes:
>
>> You're right that your limit is above 128M but the error just means it tried
>> to allocated 128M and failed, it may already have allocated 400M and been
>> trying to go over the 524M mark.
>
> My limit should be 1.6GB as per /boot/loader.conf

Well according to "limit" it was 524M. I don't know how that relates to the
kernel limits you see in /boot/loader.conf. It may be the same thing but being
lowered by something in the startup scripts or it may be unrelated.

> The question is, what type of memory is that trying to allocate?
> Shared memory?

If it couldn't allocate the shared memory it wanted it wouldn't start up.

> The FreeBSD default is to cap programs at 512MB so thet fact the program is
> crashing at 1011MB means that the /boot/loader.conf setting of 1.6GB memory cap
> is active.

I'm skeptical that you can trust ps's VSZ reporting at this level of detail.
On some platforms VSZ includes a proportionate share of its shared memory or
might not include memory allocated but not actually written to yet (due to
copy-on-write).

--
  Gregory Stark