Re: [INTERFACES] Re: [HACKERS] CORBA STATUS - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Bruce Stephens
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] Re: [HACKERS] CORBA STATUS
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
"Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:

> From the point of view of a package maintainer, I would much prefer
> a solution that separated the choice of Orb from the main build.
>
> If the choice goes into configure, I will have to pick a single Orb
> and build the Debian package for that, or else make packages for
> every Orb that Debian supports.  It would be better if I could build
> a generic Orb-enabled PostgreSQL and produce a little pg-orb
> connection library for each Debian-supported Orb.

It probably makes sense to try to get things working with one ORB, and
then see if it's worth generalising.  I'd guess ORBit is a good one to
start with since it's C-based, and it's pretty small: if I have to
install an extra package on my machine just to run PostgreSQL, I'm not
going to mind ORBit, whereas TAO might annoy me (IIRC, TAO is quite
big; I may be thinking of another ORB, though).  ORBit does IIOP, I
believe, so that covers GNOME and KDE people.