Re: License for PostgreSQL for commercial purpose - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Doug Quale
Subject Re: License for PostgreSQL for commercial purpose
Date
List pgsql-admin
Radu-Adrian Popescu <radu.popescu@aldratech.com> writes:

> Doug Quale wrote:
>
> | The Postgres license is a free software license that is GPL
> | compatible.
>
> Where GPL compatible means (possibly among other things) that I can get
> a BSD-licensed Postgresql and turn it into a GPL-licensed MyPostgresql ?

Absolutely.  This has been done.  For example, GNU bison was derived
many years ago from Berkeley yacc.

You can go further and make a non-free MyPostgresql.  Use Postgres
code in a completely proprietary project if you like.  The X11 license
places far fewer restrictions on code than does the GPL.  Works
derived from X11-licensed code do not have to be free.