Re: Upgrade issue (again). - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Adrian Phillips
Subject Re: Upgrade issue (again).
Date
List pgsql-hackers
   >> I am not going to beat it into the ground this time -- I have   >> argued the issue at length before (some would
sayfor far too   >> long! :-)).  But I am going to drop reminders as we get bug   >> reports and compliants.  And
Iwouldremind the group that MySQL   >> does this easily -- it has utilities to migrate between its   >> different table
types.
   Bruce> It is my understanding that the MySQL heap format hasn't   Bruce> changed since 1991.  I think that helps
themupgrade.  We   Bruce> add features too quickly.  :-)

Just to clear this little bit of particularly unconstructive FUD from
the air , no they haven't changed NISAM but created a new format :-
   Upgrading from a 3.22 version to 3.23   -------------------------------------
   *MySQL* 3.23 supports tables of the new `MyISAM' type and the old   `NISAM' type.  You don't have to convert your
oldtables to use these   with 3.23.  By default, all new tables will be created with type   `MyISAM' (unless you start
`mysqld'with the   `--default-table-type=isam' option. You can change an `ISAM' table to a   `MyISAM' table with `ALTER
TABLE'or the Perl script   `mysql_convert_table_format'.

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--
Your mouse has moved.