Re: [ADMIN] postgresql under Windows is slow - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Adrian Phillips
Subject Re: [ADMIN] postgresql under Windows is slow
Date
List pgsql-hackers
   Oleg> On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Andy Ruhl wrote:   >> On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Oleg Bartunov wrote:   >>    >> > anybody has
anexperience how is stable postgresql under   >> Windows system ?  > I tried postgresq 7.1 under Cygwin, Windows   >>
98and was dissapointed > by very bad performance. Are there   >> something I could tune ?  > I got 250 sel/sec on
simpleselect   >> from table with 500 rows !  > Under Linux I have 2500 sel/sec.   >>    >> What are your plans for
postgresqlon Windows? Just by the   >> nature of the OS, I'd never expect too much performance from a   >> Cygwin app,
especiallyone like postgresql. Do you plan on   >> running it on 98 in a production manner?

   Oleg> even worse, we have to port our application to Windows and   Oleg> it should run under W95..XP on different
hardware(PII   Oleg> ...). It'll run in single-user environment (thank   Oleg> goodness). Database will have about
20-30K rows.

For starters, check out the Cywgin FAQ :-

http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#TOC75 (How is fork implemented)

and the Cygwin User's guide, especially :-

Highlights of Cygwin Functionality/Process Creation

There are also some discussions about fork and vfork in the mailing
list archives, and I see that there have been some changes to do with
vfork during the last year or so but don't know whether that is
applicable to Postgresql.

Sincerely

Adrian Phillips

--