Re: Access postgresql data base from .net - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dann Corbit
Subject Re: Access postgresql data base from .net
Date
List pgsql-general

From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of mike stanton
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2010 12:08 PM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Cc: mike stanton
Subject: [GENERAL] Access postgresql data base from .net

Hello all; we´ve got a project where we have a system built originally for .net/sql-server. Now we want to change sql-server for a postgresql database. And preferably without using the ODBC driver which we have heard is prone to errors.

What specific errors did you hear about?

I suggest testing the rumors.  If there really is some problem, then submit a bug report.

Sometimes, people want you to use their tools, and so they will exaggerate the problem with competitive tools.

<<

Is there a producto which we can use which does not imply a major rewrite of all the SQL ?.

Probably most interface tools will work if you are using ISO standard SQL.  Any place where you are using SQL language extensions you will have to do some work.

You can find interfaces here:

http://pgfoundry.org/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=310

There are also a very large number of commercial interfaces for PostgreSQL available. You can find out about those here:

http://www.sqlsummit.com/DataAcce.htm

<<

Obviously we may have problemas with differences between Sql-server and Postgresql syntax, but we don´t want to de a rewrite.

What specific problems are you having?

<<

Hope to hear soon, any help appreciated.

Mike Stanton W.
Santiago Chile

__________ Información de ESET NOD32 Antivirus, versión de la base de firmas de virus 5575 (20101029) __________

ESET NOD32 Antivirus ha comprobado este mensaje.

http://www.eset.com