Re: Commands linked to pg_wrapper not working with non-root users - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tim Cross
Subject Re: Commands linked to pg_wrapper not working with non-root users
Date
List pgsql-general
Jonathan Leroy - Inikup <jonathan@inikup.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using multiples versions of PostgreSQL from the postgresql.org
> repository (http://apt.postgresql.org/) on Debian Jessie, on multiples
> servers.
> Each postgresql-client-XX package depends on postgresql-client-common,
> which provides the pg_wrapper script
> (/usr/share/postgresql-common/pg_wrapper).
>
> A lot of PostgreSQL commands are linked to pg_wrapper. E.g.:
> /usr/bin/psql -> ../share/postgresql-common/pg_wrapper
>
> Here's my issue : when I'm logged as an user which is not root or
> postgresql, I can't use any of the commands linked to pg_wrapper:
>
> user1@server1:~ $ /usr/bin/psql --version
> Error: Invalid data directory
>

> However, everything works with postgres or root user:
>
> root@server1:~ # /usr/bin/psql --version
> psql (PostgreSQL) 9.4.16
>

> Also, everything works fine if I bypass pg_wrapper:
>
> user1@server1:~ $ /usr/lib/postgresql/9.4/bin/psql --version
> psql (PostgreSQL) 9.4.16
>
> I am missing something ?
>
> Thanks,

Check your settings in /etc/postgresql-common/user_clusters. The wrapper
script uses that file to determine what databases to connect to or what
is the user default database cluster. It can also be overridden with a
local ~/.postgresqlrc, so check there are no old settings there as well.

Tim

--
Tim Cross