Re: "AS" by the syntax of table reference.(8.4 proposal) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: "AS" by the syntax of table reference.(8.4 proposal)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> A possibly bigger problem is that the solution for postfix ops doesn't
> scale nicely: we'd have to list not only IDENT, but *every* can-be-ColId
> keyword, in the %precedence list, which (a) is a maintenance headache,
> (b) causes a conflict because some are already listed there with the
> wrong precedence for this purpose, and (c) is very scary from the
> viewpoint of possibly silently suppressing warnings of future grammar
> ambiguities.  I'm not even that happy with giving IDENT a precedence;
> giving precedences to 270 or so currently precedence-less tokens
> just doesn't sound safe.

There are other rules that have a %prec on the rule itself, does that not work
here? *off to read the fine manual now*

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Get trained by Bruce Momjian - ask me about
EnterpriseDB'sPostgreSQL training!