Re: Standard replication interface? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Standard replication interface?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Sullivan <andrew@libertyrms.info> writes:
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 10:15:32PM -0500, Greg Copeland wrote:
> > Reading about the pgmonitor thread and mention of gborg made me wonder
> > about replication and ready ability to uniformly monitor it.  Just as
> > pg_stat* tables exist to allow for statistic gathering and monitoring in
> > a uniform fashion, it occurred to me that a predefined set of views
> > and/or tables for all replication implementations may be worthwhile.
> > That way, no matter what replication method/tool is being used, as long
> > as it conforms to the defined replication interfaces, generic monitoring
> > tools can be used to keep an eye on things.
>
> That sounds like the cart is before the horse.

That's exactly what I was going to say -- I'd prefer that any
interested parties concentrate on producing a *really good*
replication implementation, which might eventually be integrated into
PostgreSQL itself.

Producing a "generic API" for something that really doesn't need
genericity sounds like a waste of time, IMHO.

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>