Re: [HACKERS] Companies involved in development - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Companies involved in development
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Companies involved in development
List pgsql-advocacy
I think I spelled -advocacy correctly this time.

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 05:34:13PM +0200, Hans-J?rgen Sch?nig wrote:
> I think it would be a huge benefit for the community to have some more
> company-funding. This would lead to the implementation of some features
> people need urgently (replication in the core and so forth). On the

> For a company PostgreSQL definitely is an interesting area to invest
> because it has proven to be a good product and there are just minor
> things (sync. replication - eg. Postgres-R) missing to make it a real
> enterprise database. The support of the community of more than just
> optimal and it is an interesting subject.

> Also: It would be interesting to have a special section on the website
> where people can post that they need money to implement something really
> useful. I guess there'd be a lot of people who'd pay for replication or
> things like that if they knew more.

Some time ago, I posted that I was looking for people interested in
making the replication stuff complete.  I'm still working on that
(and I _may_ be getting somewhere, BTW), but there is a lot of work
to be done there, and I think quite a bit of high-quality code needs
to be written.  And that high-quiality code requires high-quality
developers.

Now, it strikes me that sometimes, several companies might be able to
afford to subsidise this sort of development, if only they had a way
of getting together to do this.  I find that the corporate folks here
really like the idea of "co-development".  The idea is to spread the
risk, where everyone gets the return.  Can anyone think of an idea of
how to set up some sort of organisation to do this?  Or maybe, are
commercial organisations like PostgreSQL the best answer?  The
problem is frequently that the names of the funders frequently need
to remain secret-ish, because a lot of companies are reluctant to
discuss using Postgres.

Any suggestions?  I know I'd have an easier sell to support this sort
of development if we didn't have to foot the whole bill.

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110