Re: BLOB handling compatibility with PostgreSQL > 7.4 - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Marc Herbert
Subject Re: BLOB handling compatibility with PostgreSQL > 7.4
Date
List pgsql-odbc

> Marc Herbert wrote:
>> Ludek Finstrle <luf@pzkagis.cz> writes:
>> >  Type oid doesn't represent only large objects.
>>
>> This is IMHO the original sin. oid is overloaded as both an internal
>> type and something the basic user has to play with.
>
> Why aren't you using bytea?  Is that not supported by the ODBC driver?

We are developping a middleware and are not free to choose our data
types.

As far as i know, the implementation of bytea and large objects in the
database are totally different and I suspect there are good reasons to
use either one of them, depending on the actual data and application
involved.