Re: WARNING: could not flush dirty data: Function not implemented - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tim Cross
Subject Re: WARNING: could not flush dirty data: Function not implemented
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Ravi Krishna <sravikrishna@aol.com> writes:
>>> Whee ... so you get to cope with all the bugs/idiosyncrasies of three
>>> operating system layers, not just one.  I concur that running Postgres
>>> in the underlying Windows O/S is probably a much better idea.
>
>> Me too, but this is purely for learning and I am much more use to Linux stack then ... gasp Windows :-)
>
> Hmm, so maybe you should install Ubuntu as the native O/S, and when
> you need Windows, run it inside a VM?
>
>             regards, tom lane

This is what I do and it works well except.....

If you don't run the windows VM very often (like me), when you do, start
it before lunch or that next long meeting. The updates will grind things
to a crawl. When you run every day or fairly frequently, you don't
notice them, but if you only run once every 4+ weeks, it can have a big
impact and take ages.

Linux as the host and using the VM is still better than the weird
idiosyncrasies of Windows as the main workstation client (IMO). Where
office policy has insisted on Windows as the workstation, I have had
reasonable success with running virtualbox with Linux, though these
days, the Windows environment is often too locked down to allow
this. I've not yet experimented with the virtual linux layer in w10.

--
Tim Cross