finding out what's generating WALs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Withers
Subject finding out what's generating WALs
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi All,

With a 9.4 cluster, what's the best way to find out what's generating
the most WAL?

I'm looking after a multi-tenant PG 9.4 cluster, and we've started
getting alerts for the number of WALs on the server.
It'd be great to understand what's generating all that WAL and what's
likely to be causing any problems.\

More generally, what's number of WALs is "too much"? check_postgres.pl
when used in nagios format only appears to be able to alert on absolute
thresholds, does this always make sense? What's a good threshold to
alert on?

cheers,

Chris