Re: psql command line editor - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bob Gobeille
Subject Re: psql command line editor
Date
Re: psql command line editor  (Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Aug 17, 2009, at 12:46 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Bob Gobeille wrote:
>> I use PSQL to set my editor to vi.  This works as expected in psql,
>> \e brings up vi and I edit away.
>>
>> Is there any way to set my psql command line editor to also use vi
>> (just like I do with "set -o vi" in bash)?
>> I can't find this in the docs.
>
> I have in my .inputrc this line:
>
>     set editing-move vi
>
> and it works like a charm.

I tried this and can't get it to work.
1) I tried putting that in my .bashrc script and sourcing the file
(and also logging in again)
2) I did the set on the command line and then started psql

No luck.

I'm testing by:

starting psql
use the up arrow to bring up a previous command from the command buffer
try to reposition the cursor around the command with '0' or '$' or 'w'
or 'h'
No luck.

I don't find any mention of 'editing-move' in a search of postgresql.org
Googling editing-move turns up nothing (as far as I looked through
results).

This is 8.3 on a debian lenny system.   What am I  missing?

Thanks!
Bob