Re: psql command line editor - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Atkins
Subject Re: psql command line editor
Date
List pgsql-general
On Aug 17, 2009, at 12:15 PM, Bob Gobeille wrote:

> On Aug 17, 2009, at 12:46 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
>> Bob Gobeille wrote:
>>> I use PSQL to set my editor to vi.  This works as expected in psql,
>>> \e brings up vi and I edit away.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to set my psql command line editor to also use vi
>>> (just like I do with "set -o vi" in bash)?
>>> I can't find this in the docs.
>>
>> I have in my .inputrc this line:
>>
>>     set editing-move vi
>>
>> and it works like a charm.
>
> I tried this and can't get it to work.
> 1) I tried putting that in my .bashrc script and sourcing the file
> (and also logging in again)
> 2) I did the set on the command line and then started psql

It's a readline setting, not an environment variable. Try putting it
in ~/.inputrc.

Though it looks like you're on a Mac, and that's likely to be using
editline
rather than readline, in which case putting "bind -v" in ~/.editrc
would be
what you need. That'll start you in input mode, so 'esc' should switch
you
to navigation mode.

Cheers,
   Steve