Re: Quad Xeon or Quad Opteron? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Knight, Doug
Subject Re: Quad Xeon or Quad Opteron?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi,
As a gauge, we recently purchased several servers as our systems get
close to going operational. We bought Dell 2900s, with the cheapest quad
core processors (dual) and put most of the expense into lots of drives
(8 15K 146GB SAS drives in a RAID 10 set), and the PERC 6 embedded
controller with 512MB battery backed cache. That gives us more spindles,
the RAID redundancy we want, plus the high, reliable throughput of the
BBC. The OS (and probably WAL) will run on a RAID 1 pair of 15K 76GB
drives. We also went with 8GB memory, which seemed to be the price cost
point in these systems (going above 8GB had a much higher cost).
Besides, in our prototyping, or systems had 2GB, which we rarely
exceeded, so 8GB should be plently (and we can always expand).

So really, if you can save money on processors by going Opteron (and
your IT department doesn't have an Intel-based system requirement like
ours), put what you save into a good disk I/O subsystem. Hope that
helps.

Doug