Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Change FETCH/MOVE to use int8. - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Change FETCH/MOVE to use int8.
Date
List pgsql-patches
>> This patch has broken half the buildfarm, and I've still not seen a
>> rationale why we need to make such a change at all.

> Fixed with attached patch.  The use case for this was not FETCH, but
> MOVE for > 2gig tables.

There is *no* credible use case for this (hint: MOVE FORWARD/BACKWARD
ALL does not need this to work for >2G tables).  It is not worth the
extra computational cycles that it imposes on every machine whether they
use the feature or not, and it is certainly not worth the developer time
we're expending to fix this poorly written patch.  Please revert it.

            regards, tom lane