Re: OID's - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Mihail Nasedkin
Subject Re: OID's
Date
Re: OID's  (Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com>)
List pgsql-sql
Hello, Michael.

Thank you for answer January, 20  2005, 21:48:30:

MF> On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 03:45:58PM +0500, Mihail Nasedkin wrote:

>> How (where) I can get all OID's of the PostgeSQL
>> installation?
>> In other words where OID's is stored? Is it stored in special table?

MF> See the "System Columns" section in the "Data Definition" chapter
MF> of the PostgreSQL documentation.  Tables that store objects with
MF> OIDs should have an oid column; you could query pg_attribute to
MF> find out what tables those are.
I have already read about "System Columns" of the PostgreSQL documentation.
In the table "pg_catalog.pg_attribute" column "attrelid" contain
only "system OID's" but not OID's from records of the user tables.

But I would like to use OID's of all records of the all my tables.                                ^^^
^^^
I try to use rules on INSERT action of my tables to store last insert
oid, but at the moment of the INSERT row into table OID value
inaccessible (unknown).

>> I would like use some SQL queries with the all OID's.

MF> To what end?  Are you aware that PostgreSQL allows tables to be
MF> created without OIDs?
Yes, of course, but in my case I create tables with OID and then want use
OID of all records of the all tables as one column in some query.

I think what system of OID's is very useful for application!

MF> What problem are you trying to solve?
For example, I want to fetching all rows of the several tables in one
query by means of LEFT JOIN, but not use UNION operator.

--
Mihail  Nasedkin                        mailto:m.nasedkin.perm@mail.ru