Re: Re: RC3 ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: RC3 ...
Date
Re: Re: RC3 ...  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
>> At 2Meg, is there a reason why we include any of the docs as part of the
>> standard tar ball?  It shouldn't be required to compile, so should be able
>> to be left out of the main tar ball and downloaded seperately as required
>> .. thereby shrinking the distribution to <6Meg from its current 8 ...

> Can we drop TODO.detail from the tarball too?  No need to include that,
> I think.  The web site has nice links to it now.  Uncompressed it is
> 1.314 megs.

That strikes me as an awfully web-centric view of things.  Not everyone
has an always-on high-speed Internet link.

If you want to make the docs and TODO.detail be a separate chunk of the
split distribution, that's fine with me.  But I don't agree with
removing them from the full tarball.

OTOH, if Marc was only thinking of removing the pre-built docs from the
tarball, I don't object to that.  I'm not sure why those weren't
distributed as separate tarballs from the get-go.  I just say that the
doc sources are part of the source distribution...