Re: Linux: more cores = less concurrency. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Glyn Astill
Subject Re: Linux: more cores = less concurrency.
Date
List pgsql-performance
--- On Tue, 12/4/11, Kevin Grittner <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:

> Wow, zero idle and zero wait, and single digit for
> system.  Did you
> ever run those RAM speed tests?  (I don't remember
> seeing results
> for that -- or failed to recognize them.)  At this
> point, my best
> guess at this point is that you don't have the bandwidth to
> RAM to
> support the CPU power.  Databases tend to push data
> around in RAM a
> lot.

I mentioned sysbench was giving me something like 3000 MB/sec on memory write tests, but nothing more.

Results from Greg Smiths stream_scaling test are here:

http://www.privatepaste.com/4338aa1196

> When I mentioned profiling, I was thinking more of oprofile
> or
> something like it.  If it were me, I'd be going there
> by now.

Advice taken, it'll be my next step.

Glyn