Re: Global snapshots - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrey V. Lepikhov
Subject Re: Global snapshots
Date
RE: Global snapshots  ("tsunakawa.takay@fujitsu.com" <tsunakawa.takay@fujitsu.com>)
RE: Global snapshots  ("tsunakawa.takay@fujitsu.com" <tsunakawa.takay@fujitsu.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 7/27/20 11:22 AM, tsunakawa.takay@fujitsu.com wrote:
> Hi Andrey san, Movead san,
>

> From: tsunakawa.takay@fujitsu.com <tsunakawa.takay@fujitsu.com>
>> While Clock-SI seems to be considered the best promising for global
>> serializability here,
>>
>> * Why does Clock-SI gets so much attention?  How did Clock-SI become the
>> only choice?
>>
>> * Clock-SI was devised in Microsoft Research.  Does Microsoft or some other
>> organization use Clock-SI?
>
> Could you take a look at this patent?  I'm afraid this is the Clock-SI for MVCC.  Microsoft holds this until 2031.  I
couldn'tfind this with the keyword "Clock-SI.""

> US8356007B2 - Distributed transaction management for database systems with multiversioning - Google Patents
> https://patents.google.com/patent/US8356007
>

> If it is, can we circumvent this patent?
>

> Regards
> Takayuki Tsunakawa

Thank you for the research (and previous links too).
I haven't seen this patent before. This should be carefully studied.

--
regards,
Andrey Lepikhov