Re: Stock Market Price Data & postgreSQL? HELLPPP Please - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sanjay Arora
Subject Re: Stock Market Price Data & postgreSQL? HELLPPP Please
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 3:11 AM, Adrian Klaver<aklaver@comcast.net> wrote:

> In the its a small world category I just ran across a streaming database called
Telegraph(http://telegraph.cs.berkeley.edu/telegraphcq/v2.1/)yesterday. It is based on Postgres 7.3.2, so approach with
caution.

Thanks Adrian,

Very interesting. The pages seem to have moved. I had to read them in
google cache. Will email them regarding the project roadmap and if
they will be pursuing it for some time to come or is it only a minor
research project, that will stop as soon as the research paper is
submitted. Mailing list of the project though shows mails are
decreasing to almost one per day.

However, it threw a very interesting question for me. It was based on
postgres itself, v. 7.2 but thats beside the point.

What exactly the difference in layman sys admin terms between our
everyday postgres and this time series data. postgres supports geo
data types and many others. Whats the big issue in not having this
sort of time series data type and query as a normal support by
postgres?

It would have a big feasibility in stock market data storage and
analysis. I am sure there would be some other major scientific
applications like real time data acquisition & analysis & etc.

So why is this sort of application not supported in postgres natively?
First time, I've come across a db application that I cannot handle
with postgres in my 9 years of using postgres..

Best regards.
Sanjay.