Re: Stock Market Price Data & postgreSQL? HELLPPP Please - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Stock Market Price Data & postgreSQL? HELLPPP Please
Date
Re: Stock Market Price Data & postgreSQL? HELLPPP Please  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
Re: Stock Market Price Data & postgreSQL? HELLPPP Please  (Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com>)
List pgsql-general
----- "Greg Stark" <gsstark@mit.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 9:22 PM, Sanjay
> Arora<sanjay.k.arora@gmail.com> wrote:
> > - This is Time Series Data (I don't know what that is except that
> it
> > relates to data marked/related to time) and not suited to a RDBMS.
> > - You need it in Esper (a CEP engine used by Marketcetera, an open
> > source trading platform) which needs to get a data stream, whereas
> an
> > RDBMS will return a recordset.
> > - A RDBMS including postgreSQL simply cannot handle the amount of
> > real-time data coming in from a stock exchange.
> > - A RDBMS simply cannot provide data, even if you build streams
> from
> > recordsets returned, at the speeds required by any technical
> analysis
> > charting program.
>
> There are whole companies doing nothing but providing streaming RDBMS
> used by traders, airline reservation systems, etc. c.f Streambase,
> and
> Truviso amongst others.
>
> I'm not aware of any open source streaming databaes so for a
> shoestring budget you're going to be limited to using existing tools.
> There are certainly people who scale up Postgres to high oltp traffic
> but it does require time and money as you scale up, TANSTAAFL... I'm
> sure it can be done, Postgres is very flexible, though whether it's a
> perfect fit with your needs or not I can't say.
>
> You might also consider whether one of the existing streaming
> database
> system providers would give you a development license for free or on
> trial basis if you hope to be making big money down the road.
>
> --
> greg
> http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf

In the its a small world category I just ran across a streaming database called
Telegraph(http://telegraph.cs.berkeley.edu/telegraphcq/v2.1/)yesterday. It is based on Postgres 7.3.2, so approach with
caution.

Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net