Re: About PostgreSQL 8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lonni J Friedman
Subject Re: About PostgreSQL 8.0
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 00:13:08 +0200, Jarkko Elfving <jarelf@ebaana.net> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've started to learn SQL about 6 months ago, and now I'd upgraded
> PostgreSQL 7.4 to new release 8.0. After upgrading I start to read the
> README file (how stupid I was) and there were instructions to how to do
> it; the upgrade I mean. Now I'm wondering, server is not running because
> fileformat or something like that is wrong - I did the upgrade wrongly.
> I do not have any relevant data in the Postgre database, so I don't need
> to backup it (which was one point of the upgrading). How I must have to
> proceed that I can start the Postgre server? Do I use the initdb command
> and if I do, how I do it with default locations? I'm very new on
> PostgreSQL and do not have much experience on SQL. I'm running on FC3.
>
> I hope that you understand what my problem is. I will explain more, if
> you don't.

If you don't care about losing your data, you can fix this by shutting
down postgresql, deleting the contents of /var/lib/pgsql/data and then
starting postgresql again.

L. Friedman                                    netllama@gmail.com
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org