Re: About PostgreSQL 8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: About PostgreSQL 8.0
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 12:13:08AM +0200, Jarkko Elfving wrote:

> I've started to learn SQL about 6 months ago, and now I'd upgraded
> PostgreSQL 7.4 to new release 8.0. After upgrading I start to read the
> README file (how stupid I was) and there were instructions to how to do
> it; the upgrade I mean. Now I'm wondering, server is not running because
> fileformat or something like that is wrong - I did the upgrade wrongly.

I'd guess that you didn't do an initdb and tried to run an 8.0
server with a 7.4 cluster.  See the "Installation Instructions"
chapter of the documentation, in particular the "If You Are Upgrading"
section; see also "Migration Between Releases" in the "Backup and
Restore" chapter and the documentation for initdb:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/installation.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/migration.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/app-initdb.html

--