Re: Restart after poweroutage - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Harald Armin Massa
Subject Re: Restart after poweroutage
Date
List pgsql-general
Jon,

For what it is worth, I created a FC5 VMware installation and loaded my
database data into it.  I simulated a bunch of power outages by telling
VMware to power off the vm.  Is this a good simulation of a power
outage, or is there something inherently flawed about using a VM to test
this?

It is inherently flawed. VMware really "powers down", that is, the operating system has time to shut down. Or, in other incarnations, VMware freezes the system state.

It's nothing near a real power outage, which gives no time for anything.

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare