Re: Restart after poweroutage - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jon Lapham
Subject Re: Restart after poweroutage
Date
List pgsql-general
Harald Armin Massa wrote:
> It is inherently flawed. VMware really "powers down", that is, the
> operating system has time to shut down. Or, in other incarnations,
> VMware freezes the system state.
>
> It's nothing near a real power outage, which gives no time for anything.

On my VMware window, there are "shut down guest", "suspend" and "power
off" options in the menu.  Each acts differently.

Using "power off" pops up a warning window saying that this is dangerous
as the guest OS will not shut down properly.  When selecting "power
off", it acts instantly, the VM instantly closes.

Using "suspend" takes a minute or so, while the VM RAM state is saved to
disk.  Bringing the VM back from this state brings the VM back to
exactly how it was before the suspend.

Using "shut down guest" causes the FC5 (in this case) VM instance to run
through its shutdown procedure, and takes 15 seconds or so to shutdown.

I am using "power off".

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham@jandr.org>                Rio de Janeiro, Brasil