RE: Re: 'Tuple is too big' Error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Ansley
Subject RE: Re: 'Tuple is too big' Error
Date
List pgsql-general

You can set the BLOCKSZ parameter up to a max of 32kB.  This will increase the row length to 32kB (a bit shorter because of some admin overhead, but close enough).  In the medium-term, upgrade to 7.1 as this limit has been removed.

MikeA

-----Original Message-----
From: J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) [mailto:jdassen@cistron-office.nl]
Sent: 15 January 2001 07:50
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] Re: 'Tuple is too big' Error

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 20:06:33 +0100, Christian Pomar wrote:
> Using phorum (www.phorum.org) based on PHP, I am getting the following
> error when trying to insert a message in the PosgreSQL 6.5.3 database:
>
> ProcessQuery
> ERROR:  Tuple is too big: size 12440

There is an 8K tuple length in that version of PostgreSQL.

> (obtained from the log). Can anybody tell me where to find proper
> documentation to raise whatever parameter is necessary to avoid this
> problem?

AFAIK it's not that easy to fix. It is fixed in the beta versions of 7.1.

HTH,
Ray
--
Those who are willing to trade their liberty for security deserve neither.
        Benjamin Franklin

Nick West - Global Infrastructure Manager.

www.mimesweeper.com