Re: How to choose a disc array for Postgresql? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Vivek Khera
Subject Re: How to choose a disc array for Postgresql?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mar 2, 2008, at 11:02 PM, Steve Poe wrote:

> It seems the RAID card manufacturers have more to do with failures
> than the drives themselves. Have you found a RAID card you did not
> have to drop to U160?

The only array for which I've had to drop to U160 on an LSI card is
the Dell array.  I think the backplane is not fully U320 compliant,
but I have no real proof.  I had the same seagate drives, which I
*know* work U320 with an LSI card.

It seems only the Dell-branded LSI cards work with the Dell-branded
arrays at U320 -- at least they report to be working.

Because I'm leery of Adaptec, and the LSI cards are hard to get decent
arrays at decent prices, I've moved to using external RAID enclosures
attached via LSI Fibre Channel cards.