From Elliot Chance
Subject Fwd: [pgsql-www] Forums at postgresql.com.au
Date
List pgsql-general

Begin forwarded message:

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>
Date: 20 November 2010 3:58:41 AM AEDT
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>, Elliot Chance <elliotchance@gmail.com>, pgsql-www <pgsql-www@postgresql.org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] Forums at postgresql.com.au

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 16:14, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
Excerpts from Dave Page's message of vie nov 19 11:43:34 -0300 2010:
On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Elliot Chance <elliotchance@gmail.com> wrote:
However if I had signed up to the forum (and not the mailing list) my From would have to be subscribed for the mailing list to accept it like:
Elliot Chance <forums@postgresql.com.au>
John Smith <forums@postgresql.com.au>
... etc.

OK, so after a brief background I'd like to organise a solution. Without any other feasible option would this generic address system be allowed?

I wouldn't be happy with that as it prevents private replies to the
author and would make it easy to send what was intended as a private
reply to the public forums by mistake.

Isn't that a secondary use case, though?  It would be easy to solve this
by providing a URL to the post in the forum that you can click; assuming
the forum interface gives you the option to reply privately.

That would pretty much make it impossible to use offline.

That would be annoying, but I guess survivable. But how would that
work for a user that hasn't signed up for the forum? How does it
verify the sender?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/