Re: most bang for buck with ~ $20,000 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Bucky Jordan
Subject Re: most bang for buck with ~ $20,000
Date
List pgsql-performance
We've been doing some research in this area (the new Woodcrest from
Intel, the Opterons from Dell, and SAS).

In a nutshell, here's what I'm aware of:

Dell does provide a 15 disk external SAS enclosure- the performance
numbers they claim look pretty good (of course, go figure) and as far as
I can tell, the Perc5/I (the new SAS controller) actually has reasonable
performance. I've been playing around with a 2950 with 6x300 GB 10k RPM
SAS drives, but no enclosure yet. You can also apparently daisy chain up
to 3 enclosures and use multiple perc cards.

Dell originally was planning to only support 4 socket opteron boxes, but
now they have also apparently decided to support 2 socket ones also.
According to this article, they're saying before end of the year.

Some say that the Woodcrest performs just as well, if not better than
the opteron, but I have been unable to do specific tests as of yet. If
anyone has a comparable Opteron box (to a PE2950 2x3.0 8 GB RAM
Woodcrest), I'd be happy to run some benchmarks.

Lastly, Sun just came out with their new X4600. 48 drives, 24 TB
storage, 4 U rack space. http://www.sun.com/servers/x64/x4500/getit.jsp
That's over your $20k limit though, but looks like it'd be a great DB
box.

For $20k with dell, you could probably get a 2 CPU 2950, with an
external drive cage and 15 SAS drives (just large/med business pricing
on their website). I know I would be very curious about the performance
of this setup if anyone got their hands on it.

We're a Dell shop, so it looks like we'll be settling in on the 2950
Woodcrest for a while, but I have managed to get some people interested
in the Sun box and the 4-way opteron from Dell if the need for more
performance should arise.

HTH,

Bucky