Re: How to use postgresql-jdbc rpm with Sun JDK - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: How to use postgresql-jdbc rpm with Sun JDK
Date
List pgsql-general
Kevin Murphy <murphy@genome.chop.edu> writes:
> Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
>> Upstream (I mean, Tom) is building -jdbc package with open source
>> components for a long time, and I am following that, too. We were
>> directly installing the binary jar files under /usr/share/java without
>> compilation.

> Speaking as a near-ignoramus, would a simple RPM that wraps the binary
> jar file make sense?

Sure, if you want to do it that way.  We did in fact do it that way up
till about 8.0.  We (or at least I) moved away from it because of Red
Hat's policy that source RPMs should contain only, well, source.
But if you roll your own you certainly need not be bound by that
ideology.

            regards, tom lane